Long ago I bought a Family Home Evening board for our family.
I have loved it.
The only problem is …
Well … there are only 5 spaces on it.
We are adding family member #8 soon,
and that FHE board was just not going to cut it any more.
That, and the face that it was black.
Remember, I don’t want my living room black? 🙂
So, here is how I made my FHE board more afficant to fit my family size,
AND how I got it to match my living room. 🙂
I removed ALL the vinyl lettering.
I unscrewed the metal from the board.
I headed to my local craft store,
I bought 3 more wooden stars
(I tried to find a link for these for you, but could not for the life of me. I got mine at Michael’s Art and Craft store, and they have bins of small wooden shapes, and I got my stars there)
I also bought some more magnets to match the ones on the stars I already had.
Next I took some toll type paint I already had in a dark brown and painted all of my stars.
Since 5 of them were black, and 3 were just plain wood, they took different amounts of paint to
make sure they looked the same.
I did paint the backs of the 3 new ones with a couple coats,
only because the other ones were painted on the back.
Here are my 8 brown stars with magnets attached (I hot glued the magnets on).
Next, I took the board, and gave it to my husband to spray paint,
with the same paint as the Family sign in the living room.
Yes, I could have done this.
Why didn’t I?
My husband was a painter for 3 years,
he’s kind of picky … so he likes to do any form of painting when ever he can talk me into it.
I did the letters, so I let him do the board, lol. 🙂
While my fabulous husband was painting, I grabbed my (lol) Sillouhette,
and whipped out the vinyl I wanted
(You could easily grab a paint pen, and do the same idea if you don’t have easy access to vinyl).
I needed enough things for each person to do.
We decided on the following:
Practice: We decided we’d use this to help the kids memorize
Here is how it turned out:
We also decided instead of doing an entire name, we’d just do the first initial on each star.
We don’t have a name for the baby yet … that’s why there is a blank star. 🙂
Then we just put it back together,
I made a few more vinyl letters to complete the project,
and it was done!