For a Christmas party with friends, and as part of a sponsored post for Collective Bias® I made these easy Butter Apple Pie Crust Bites using Land O’ Lakes Butter to serve as an easy, yummy dessert.
I recently ventured out into the crazy world of Walmart with all my kids and my husband in tow (I have recently decided that I can’t just do me and the 6 kids anywhere unless it is an emergency trip to the store). In our venture, we found an awesome deal on Land O’ Lakes butter. I was so excited because we were going to be making an amazing new butter apple pie crust recipe for a little get together with some friends. I love finding a great butter, and at a great price. Seems rare for me lately.
After gathering whatever else was on our list, we were off to make some amazing butter apple pie crust.. This is so easy, and I’m SO excited to share it. It’s seriously THE. BEST. CRUST. EVER!!!
All you’ll need for the crust is some great butter (like Land O’ Lakes), flour, and COLD water. To make some awesome apple pie filling to go along with these, you’ll just need some apples, sugar and cinnamon. Easy as pie! 😉 Ha ha ha!
You’ll measure out your flour, and salt, and mix those together. Next, add your butter. I learned this trick from foodie blogger friends … grab your cheese grater, and grate your butter and then you’ll use your pastry blender/knives to get it all blended. EASY! Love easy things!
Then you’ll add your cold water. I used a fork for this part. It takes a little bit of work, but it’s not too bad. You’ll have a ball that looks something like this. Shouldn’t be too sticky, but you don’t want it falling apart either. You’ll need to let your dough rest for 15 minutes.
You could go take a quick nap while the dough rests. Or you could make the filling. Whatever you’re up for. I just got an apple corer, and I’m in LOVE!! Seriously, why didn’t know how magical these were. Okay, so I cored the apples, easy peasy.
You can know let your filling rest while you finish up the dough. Spread some flour on the counter, and then roll that dough out. We decided to do Christmas trees for our little party. We like to be festive like that. I had a little helper that figured out I was cooking. Perfect helping job. he loved it.
Next, you just put your cookies onto a cookie sheet (sprayed), and then you’ll want to take some more butter (I used about 3 TBSP of the Land O’ Lakes butter), and melt it and brush it on. Then you can take some cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle it on the top. I’d even recommend flipping them over, and butting the other side and sprinkling the other side as well. Then pop them in the oven for a few minutes.
While your cookies bake, you can grab your pie filling mix, and put it in a sauce pan over medium/high heat, and bring it to a simmer. Let it simmer for about 12-15 minutes. Stir occasionally. This will soften those apples up like when you’d normally cook them in a pie.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 2/3 cup COLD water
- 4-5 medium apples
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- In a bowl, mix your flour and salt.
- Once those are blended, grate your butter into your flour mixture (or cut butter into small cubes), and blend until small beads of butter form, and it's crumbly.
- Add cold water and mix with a fork until it all comes together.
- Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Core, peel, and cut apples into bite size pieces.
- In another bowl, mix the sugar and the cinnamon together.
- Pour lemon juice over apples, mix.
- Pour sugar mixture over apples.
- Mix until apples are covered.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray a baking sheet, set aside.
- Roll crust out on flour covered counter until about 1/4 inch thick. Use a cookie cutter to create shapes for the crust. Place cut out crust on baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-16 minutes depending on your oven.
- While crust bakes, put apple mixture in a sauce pan on medium/high heat.
- Bring to a low boil. Let simmer for 15 minutes, or until apples are soften to your liking.
- Top crust bites, with apple pie topping, and whipping cream or serve with ice cream.
You can win a $250 gift card from Walmart.
To enter they need to do the following:
1. Follow Land O’Lakes on Pinterest, user: LandoLakesKtchn
2. Enter your email in the form and click “Enter”
3. Pin the image to any of your Pinterest Boards
4. Visit the Holiday Treats Board and share your favorites (the CB socially board!)
1 Winner will be selected at random and they can only enter once! Contest runs 11/25/13-1/14/14